[tz] Changes to DST in IR/Tehran timezone

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Tue May 16 17:00:16 UTC 2023

On Tue, 16 May 2023 at 11:54, Jafari Abolfazl via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> Due to goverments choices, starting from 21st March 2023, Iran dismissed
> DST and now time should stay at +3:30, but due to lack of contacting with
> official channels, it seems lots of systems still use 2023c tz database and
> time is +4:30.

We received initial notice of pending changes in Iran last year, on 15
March 2022:
https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2022-March/031265.html

A few months later, on 10 May 2022, we were given more finalized notice of
the implementation details and made the corresponding changes:
https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2022-May/031400.html
https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/66b18d9835dda089d65349c86e7851c4f0746e09

These changes have been present in the distribution since version 2022b,
which was released on 11 August 2022.

This problem cause so many problem specially in smartphone that due to lack
> of automatic time, many application won't work correctly.

Unfortunately, there's not much we can do on our end to further encourage
downstream vendors to update their copies of our data.  Each maintainer of
operating systems, servers, and other platforms has to choose to take the
update and deploy it to their customers, and if some devices are old and
out of support, they may not ever receive them.

--
Tim Parenti