[tz] Error for Chile on September 2023

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at Shaw.ca
Tue Nov 7 05:07:53 UTC 2023

On 2023-11-06 20:17, Arthur David Olson via tz wrote:
> A Google search on "relojes site:interior.gob.cl <http://interior.gob.cl>"...
> https://www.google.com/search?q=relojes+site%3Ainterior.gob.cl
> <https://www.google.com/search?q=relojes+site%3Ainterior.gob.cl>
> ...produces 49 results, of which two are time-zone related...
> https://www.interior.gob.cl/noticias/2022/08/09/comunicado-el-proximo-sabado-10-de-septiembre-los-relojes-se-deben-adelantar-una-hora/ <https://www.interior.gob.cl/noticias/2022/08/09/comunicado-el-proximo-sabado-10-de-septiembre-los-relojes-se-deben-adelantar-una-hora/>
> https://www.interior.gob.cl/sitio-2010-2014/n6711_22-02-2012.html
> <https://www.interior.gob.cl/sitio-2010-2014/n6711_22-02-2012.html>
> ...and which are for 2012 and 2022, matching what's now in the database. No
> result for 2023 appears.
>
> @dashdashado
>
> On Mon, Nov 6, 2023 at 9:50 PM Paul Eggert via tz <tz at iana.org
> <mailto:tz at iana.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/6/23 15:58, Jacqueline Seron via tz wrote:
>      > The change of date for September 2023 appears in this government webpage,
>      > second paragraph.
>      >
>      >
>     https://www.interior.gob.cl/noticias/2022/08/09/comunicado-el-proximo-sabado-10-de-septiembre-los-relojes-se-deben-adelantar-una-hora/ <https://www.interior.gob.cl/noticias/2022/08/09/comunicado-el-proximo-sabado-10-de-septiembre-los-relojes-se-deben-adelantar-una-hora/>
>

>     That web page is about changes in September 2022, not September 2023. As
>     far as we know, it was a one-shot change and things went back to normal
>     this spring.

Last August an official from the Chile Interior Department sent the list an
official update and clarification in the thread starting:

	https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2022-August/031858.html

[tz] Official Chilean Goverment Decret for timezone changes 2022-2026
from Eduardo Romero Urra - eromero AT interior DOT gob DOT cl

with a link to the decree document:

https://www.diariooficial.interior.gob.cl/publicaciones/2022/08/13/43327/01/2172567.pdf

and comments:

"I've review your update 2022b TZdata and it's ok for this year where the summer
time starts the second saturday of September (Sep 10th at midnight), but the
next years (2023 to 2026) is need to precise that the summer time event affects
only for this year according to avoid problem confusions to a Votation Day
schedule to the next sunday Sept 4th (the original summer time change was
schedule at Saturday Sep 3th midnight). Also consider this also affects to
Easter Island Time Zone (Pacific/Easter) and not affects to Chile/Punta_Arenas
Time Zone."

and he excerpted from the decree:

"2023-2025
- Chile/Continental (America/Santiago): Summer time ends at first saturday of
Abril 24:00 Hrs, backward 1hour (GMT -04), and Summer time starts the first
saturday of September at 24:00, adding 1hour (GMT -03)
- Chile/Easter (Pacific/Easter): Summer time ends at first saturday of Abril at
22:00 Hrs, backward 1hour ( GMT -06), and Summer time starts the first saturday
of September at 24:00, adding 1hour (GMT -05)
- Chile/Punta_Arenas (America/Punta_Arenas): No changes, keeps on GMT -03"

Any unusual looking days or times in rules or zones are workarounds for
limitations in expressions for recurring dates and time in the software.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry