[tz] Time zone of Iceland in Africa?

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Thu Nov 9 23:05:05 UTC 2023

On Nov 9, 2023, at 2:40 PM, Doug Ewell via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> Reinhard wrote:
>
>> I would expect to find the time zone of Iceland/Reykjavik in Europe or
>> Atlantic Ocean but it is in Africa:
>> [...]
>> Why is it mapped to 'Africa/Abidjan'?
>
> Since 1970, Iceland has used the same time zone — namely, GMT+0 with no DST — as Côte d’Ivoire (whose capital is Abidjan) and several other African countries.

But that should not result in tzselect showing Iceland as being in Africa rather than in the Atlantic Ocean; that's a bad user experience.

At the end of zone1970.tab there are some lines:

	#
	# The next section contains experimental tab-separated comments for
	# use by user agents like tzselect that identify continents and oceans.
	#
	# For example, the comment "#@AQ<tab>Antarctica/" means the country code
	# AQ is in the continent Antarctica regardless of the Zone name,
	# so Pacific/Auckland should be listed under Antarctica as well as
	# under the Pacific because its line's country codes include AQ.
	#
	# If more than one country code is affected each is listed separated
	# by commas, e.g., #@IS,SH<tab>Atlantic/".  If a country code is in
	# more than one continent or ocean, each is listed separated by
	# commas, e.g., the second column of "#@CY,TR<tab>Asia/,Europe/".
	#
	# These experimental comments are present only for country codes where
	# the continent or ocean is not already obvious from the Zone name.
	# For example, there is no such comment for RU since it already
	# corresponds to Zone names starting with both "Europe/" and "Asia/".
	#
	#@AQ	Antarctica/
	#@IS,SH	Atlantic/
	#@CY,TR	Asia/,Europe/
	#@SJ	Arctic/
	#@CC,CX,KM,MG,YT	Indian/

Perhaps the experiment needs to wrap up and that stuff needs to be enabled, if it'll fix this.