[tz] Time zone of Iceland in Africa?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Nov 10 03:11:04 UTC 2023

On 11/9/23 15:05, Guy Harris via tz wrote:
> Perhaps the experiment needs to wrap up and that stuff needs to be enabled, if it'll fix this.

That stuff is already enabled; see the example transcript below, which
locates Iceland in the Atlantic Ocean.

My guess is that the users were running an old version of tzcode, and
merely need to upgrade.

$ tzselect
Please identify a location so that time zone rules can be set correctly.
Please select a continent, ocean, "coord", "TZ", or "time".
  1) Africa
  2) Americas
  3) Antarctica
  4) Arctic Ocean
  5) Asia
  6) Atlantic Ocean
  7) Australia
  8) Europe
  9) Indian Ocean
10) Pacific Ocean
11) coord - I want to use geographical coordinates.
12) TZ - I want to specify the timezone using the Posix TZ format.
13) time - I know local time already.
#? 6
Please select a country whose clocks agree with yours.
1) Bermuda
2) Cape Verde
3) Falkland Islands
4) Faroe Islands
5) Iceland
6) Portugal
7) South Georgia & the South Sandwich Islands
8) Spain
9) St Helena
#? 5

Based on the following information:

	Iceland

TZ='Africa/Abidjan' will be used.
Selected time is now:	Fri Nov 10 03:08:06 GMT 2023.
Universal Time is now:	Fri Nov 10 03:08:06 UTC 2023.
Is the above information OK?
1) Yes
2) No
#? 1

You can make this change permanent for yourself by appending the line
	TZ='Africa/Abidjan'; export TZ
to the file '.profile' in your home directory; then log out and log in
again.

Here is that TZ value again, this time on standard output so that you
can use the /tmp/tz/usr/bin/tzselect command in shell scripts:
Africa/Abidjan