[tz] Did Greenland abolish daylight saving from 2024 on?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Nov 13 23:47:50 UTC 2023

On 11/13/23 03:12, Thomas M. Steenholdt wrote:
>   So for better timezone consistency, I would suggest to that we simply
> drop this change to rigidly fix is_dst, and use what is in 2023c. This
> follows the intention of the timezone change

As I understand things, Greenland Prime Minister Múte Bourup Egede said
"Greenland will not switch to Daylight Saving Time this year", so the
intent was that tm_isdst should be zero all year.

As you say, real software by and large doesn't care about tm_isdst any
more. This is why we haven't bothered to issue a new TZDB release yet -
nobody cares in the real world. But eventually when the next TZDB
release comes out I'd like the tm_isdst flag to reflect better the
intended rules by Greenland's government, as  we might as well do things
right if it's easy. I expect will care about this except us TZDB nerds.

The NEWS file does need a fix now, though; proposed patch attached.