[tz] Did Greenland abolish daylight saving from 2024 on?

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Fri Nov 17 11:41:43 UTC 2023

    Date:        Fri, 17 Nov 2023 01:00:58 -0800
    From:        Guy Harris via tz <tz at iana.org>

  | 	in which standard time is in effect during summer months,

In reality, standard time, is, and should be, simply the time which
applies now, whenever now is.  Its offset from UTC might vary during
the year, but it is all standard time.

For absurd reasons, people like to label the time based upon the offset
(sometimes) and pretend that one offset is the real time, and another is
a variation, but that's all gibberish.   Unless you're defining LMT as
being the standard time (and no-one does that any more I think), there is
essentially nowhere where there's a "correct" time - and even there, who
says that the middle of the night is required to be 00:00 and the middle
of the day 12:00 - all this is just a human added convention, and as that,
humans can modify it however they (maybe we, I might be human) want.

The label "Daylight Saving Time" is, and always was, propaganda - its intent
is to bring forth a notion of "saving" - which is generally thought to be
a good thing, whatever is being saved (lives, the planet, species X, ...
and apparently "daylight" - though daylight neither is, can be, or needs
to be, saved).   It is all just useful for a semi-literate audience who are
unable to actually see through the rhetoric.

If names are needed (which they're not really) for different UTC offsets
in some area, summer/winter time (which is how the division is, very very
roughly, generally made) is a much better nomenclature.

  | (And if anybody claims that it means that daylight saving time is in
  | effect during the winter, I'm going to {{cn}} the heck out of that claim.)

Why can't it be?  If you really insist on applying the propaganda - daylight
is being saved during the late afternoon/evening period so it can be used
to better effect the following morning.

kre