[tz] tm_isdst: to be or not to be? [WAS: Did Greenland abolish daylight saving from 2024 on?]

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Fri Nov 17 22:43:28 UTC 2023

On Nov 17, 2023, at 2:04 PM, Clive D.W. Feather <clive at davros.org> wrote:

> Guy Harris via tz said:
>> The surprise, for me, is that they use the term "Daylight Saving Time" at all.  Perhaps, in the Irish case. where "standard time" is observed in the summer and "winter time" is observed in the winter, they adopt the North American/Australian term because "summer time", for them, unlike for the rest of Europe, *is* "standard time", so they can't speak of "standard time" vs. "summer time".
>
> My suspicion is that they're someone like me who just says "Oh, the clocks
> have changed *again*" and never refers - except in this sort of discussion
> - to "summer time" in that sense. The correct terms in the UK are actually
> "Greenwich Mean Time" and "British Summer Time".

Yes, and the terms in the US Pacific time zone are "Pacific Standard Time" and "Pacific Daylight Time", and "Pacific Daylight Time" is "Daylight Saving Time" in the "turn the clocks forward" sense.

And "British Summer Time" contains the phrase "Summer Time".  I guess it's *British* summer time, not the summer time or "Sommerzeit" or... those on the continent observe:

	https://www.hamburg.de/zeitumstellung/

"Sommerzeit und WinterzeitZeitumstellung 2023
In Deutschland wird zweimal im Jahr die Zeit umgestellt. Am letzten Sonntag im März erfolgt die Zeitumstellung von MEZ (bzw. Winterzeit) auf Sommerzeit und am letzten Sonntag im Oktober von Sommerzeit auf MEZ (bzw. Winterzeit)."

or, as per Google Translate:

"Summer time and winter timeTime change 2023
In Germany, the time is changed twice a year. On the last Sunday in March, the time change of CET (or winter time) to daylight saving time and on the last Sunday in October from daylight saving time to CET (or Winter time)."

which appears to include Google Translate translating "Sommerzeit" idiomatically as "Daylight Saving Time", so maybe that's more like

"Summer time and winter timeTime change 2023
In Germany, the time is changed twice a year. On the last Sunday in March, the time change of CET (or winter time) to summer time and on the last Sunday in October from summer time to CET (or Winter time)."