[tz] tm_isdst: to be or not to be? [WAS: Did Greenland abolish daylight saving from 2024 on?]

Peter Krefting peter at softwolves.pp.se
Sat Nov 18 13:33:42 UTC 2023

Doug Ewell via tz:

> I’ve always been led to believe that “Daylight Saving Time” (with or
> without the odious extra ‘s’) is North American and Australian
> terminology, and that Europeans instead use the term “summer time”
> to refer to an alternative time standard observed during some period
> that includes the summer.

Indeed. In Scandinavia it is always "summer time" and "winter time".
(The only people using "normal time" or "standard time" are those of us
who want us to stop with the shenanigans of changing the clocks.)

Before I started writing software on computers that had reliable
clocks in them, I had never heard about "daylight savings time".

--
\\// Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/