[tz] Did Greenland abolish daylight saving from 2024 on?

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Sat Nov 18 18:52:34 UTC 2023

On Sat 2023-11-18T12:39:42-0500 Brooks Harris via tz hath writ:
> I hope we do not overlook the fact that the term "standard" is ambiguous.

The legal situation in the US is less clearly defined than that.

> PUBLIC LAW 89-387-APR. 13, 1966, AN ACT
> SEC. 3. (a) During the period commencing at 2 o'clock antemeridian

That same "antemeridian" language persists in the 2005 revision of US
law.  That language made sense in 1966 because time was based on
meridians, but even then the meridian for measuring UT[012] was known
not to be the Greenwich meridian.  In the 2005 revision the basis of
UTC was not really even the meridian of UT1.  If the ITU WRC this week
agrees with the CGPM about the future of UTC then time will no longer
be related to any meridian.

Widespread agreement with high precision of the answer to "What time
is it?"  is imperative, but common language and legal language are
imprecise and misleading.

--
Steve Allen                    <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855