[tz] Did Greenland abolish daylight saving from 2024 on?

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Sat Nov 18 19:51:34 UTC 2023

    Date:        Sat, 18 Nov 2023 10:52:34 -0800
    From:        Steve Allen via tz <tz at iana.org>

  | On Sat 2023-11-18T12:39:42-0500 Brooks Harris via tz hath writ:
  | > I hope we do not overlook the fact that the term "standard" is ambiguous.
  |
  | The legal situation in the US is less clearly defined than that.
  |
  | > PUBLIC LAW 89-387-APR. 13, 1966, AN ACT
  | > SEC. 3. (a) During the period commencing at 2 o'clock antemeridian

You should read that as 2 a.m.  as that's what it is saying.  antemeridian
means "before noon" and the full interpretation of it is "2 on the clock
before noon" (ie: the clock shows 2, and it is before noon).

None of that has anything whatever to do with lines of longitude.

kre

ps: I truly wish we could get rid of the abominable habit of calling
12:00 (24 hour clock) as 12pm (12 hour clock) and 00:00 as 12am, 12:00
*is* the meridian, and so cannot be after it (not post meridian) nor
can it be before it.   And 00:00 is both 12 hours before, and 12 hours
after (different) noons, so it is both 12am and 12pm, and so using
either of those is meaningless.   12n (or nn or something) and 12mn
make much more sense than 12am and 12pm.   (On the other hand for
12:00:01 than am or pm makes perfect sense, depending which is meant).