[tz] Turkey name change

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Thu Sep 7 03:51:26 UTC 2023

On 2023-09-07 05:03:06 (+0800), Paul Eggert via tz wrote:
> Or perhaps Letu is referring to the line "TR Turkey" in the
> iso3166.tab file. Although iso3166 already has a comment about this
> sort of thing, the comment could be more explicit. Proposed patch
> attached and installed into the TZDB development repository (comments
> welcome as usual).

I don't like the rewording of this comment.  Is "confusion among
non-experts" [about the name of a country] really that much of a
problem?  I don't remember hearing from too many confused non-experts
when Swaziland was renamed Eswatini in 2019.

I don't think there's a compelling argument not to follow the Swaziland
-> Eswatini precedent and rename Turkey -> Türkiye.  To avoid churn
later, we should also rename Czech Republic -> Czechia at this time.
That change was made in 2016.

[Tongue firmly in cheek: Seven years should be enough for even the most
confused non-experts ... those who weren't fatally injured by the shock
of how swiftly the Eswatini renaming was adopted.]

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer