[tz] Wrong symlinks with BACKWARD=backward PACKRATDATA=backzone

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Apr 7 21:55:56 UTC 2024

On 2024-04-05 04:42, Benjamin Drung via tz wrote:
> Switching to TZDB's zic would be an option for the development release
> of Ubuntu, but not for the stable releases: We ship tzdata.zi in
> /usr/share/zoneinfo and we do not know if users rely on being able to
> use zic from glibc on that file.

Makes sense.

>> Come to think of it, glibc should do that too. I'll add that to my list
>> of things to do.
>
> That would be great.

I committed that change to the glibc master repository and it should
appear in the next glibc release. See
<https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commit;h=1f94147a79fcb7211f1421b87383cad93986797f>.

> Attached the new version of the patch to avoid adding a new data format.

That patch would be problematic, as main.zi should reflect what's in the
main files. That is, "cat africa antarctica ..." should output a copy of
main.zi.

Let's take a step back for a minute. Today I read the bug report
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tzdata/+bug/2003797> that
caused Ubuntu to start using PACKRATLIST=zone.tab recently. This bug
report doesn't mention user requests; instead, it seems to have been
prompted by your impression that some Ubuntu users might be bothered by
tzdata 2022b's changes to pre-1970 Europe/Oslo.

As you can guess, I doubt whether Ubuntu users care much about pre-1970
computer-generated timestamps in Norway. If I'm wrong and some users do
care, Ubuntu could instead move the packrat stuff to its tzdata-legacy
package, or to a new tzdata-packrat package that contains the packrat
info. This would simplify maintenance of main tzdata package, and would
lessen the number of trivial differences between default Ubuntu and
elsewhere.

Even if for some reason it's necessary to keep backzone's Europe/Oslo in
Ubuntu's tzdata package, that doesn't mean Ubuntu tzdata needs all of
backzone's entries. Instead, it could keep just the backzone entries
that Ubuntu users actually need, and omit troublemaking entries like
Africa/Asmara where the data are low quality and are surely wrong anyway
(does anybody really think that the inhabitants of Asmara adjusted their
clocks by 12 seconds on January 1, 1890 at midnight? I don't). Ubuntu
could do that by creating a file packrat-ubuntu.tab containing lines
like this:

   NO	+5955+01045	Europe/Oslo

i.e., just the subset of zone.tab that refers to backzone entries
containing high-quality pre-1970 data that users actually need, and then
building with:

   make PACKRATDATA=backzone PACKRATLIST=packrat-ubuntu.tab

Surely, though, it would be simpler and more reliable to eliminate the
packrat stuff from the tzdata package, possibly moving it to
tzdata-legacy or to a new tzdata-packrat package.