[tz] Wrong symlinks with BACKWARD=backward PACKRATDATA=backzone

Benjamin Drung benjamin.drung at canonical.com
Fri Apr 5 11:42:37 UTC 2024

On Tue, 2024-04-02 at 13:18 -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 4/2/24 09:55, Benjamin Drung via tz wrote:
> > An alternative would be to move the
> > link changes into the "main" data form and the previous behaviour into
> > "rearguard".
>
> Another alternative would be for Ubuntu to upgrade to release TZDB
> 2024a's zic.c (also private.h and tzfile.h and zdump.c). This would
> avoid the need for a new configuration option, which would be simpler in
> the long run.

Switching to TZDB's zic would be an option for the development release
of Ubuntu, but not for the stable releases: We ship tzdata.zi in
/usr/share/zoneinfo and we do not know if users rely on being able to
use zic from glibc on that file.

Attached the new version of the patch to avoid adding a new data format.

> Come to think of it, glibc should do that too. I'll add that to my list
> of things to do.

That would be great.

--
Benjamin Drung