[tz] Vadsø, Norway mayor wants 26-hour days

Paul Gilmartin PaulGBoulder at AIM.com
Sun Apr 14 00:25:24 UTC 2024

On 4/13/24 16:41:47, Paul Eggert via tz wrote:
> On March 20 Wenche Pedersen, the mayor of Vadsø municipality, Norway, asked[1] the European Commission to issue a directive allowing Norway to create a separate time zone for the northern part of Norway. Days in the new time zone would contain 26 hours instead of the usual 24.
>  .<snip!>
I think this is being reported 12 days too late.  See also:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Republican_calendar>

There are reported harmful health effects of abrupt Daylight
Saving transitions, particularly in Spring.

But even as some Web services (Google?) (Amazon?) "smear"
leap seconds over several hours to avoid transients harmful
to server operations, why not likewise smear the Daylight
Saving transitions over several weeks to mitigate the
psychological and physiological harm?

--
gil