[tz] Kazakhstan (all parts) switching to UTC+5 on March 1, 2024

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Sat Jan 20 15:39:01 UTC 2024

On Sat, 20 Jan 2024 at 03:38, brian.inglis--- via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> Good choice of effective date - chances of time zone errors compounding
> inevitable leap day errors, for those still not yet up to date ;^% on the
> contents of Pope Gregory XIII's papal bull from 1582!

I'll admit there were parts of me that really wanted to find some reason to
write 2024 Feb 29 24:00.  ;)

But, to me, the text of the decree clearly referred to 2024 Mar  1  0:00
or, as your translation puts it, "on the night of February 29, 2024 to
March 1, 2024 (at 00:00 hours)".

> Nitpick:
>
> As they are repeating 2024-02-29 23.00-24.00 so 2024-03-01 is delayed an
> hour in
> regions observing UTC+6, should this decree not be going into effect on
> 2024-02-29 rather than 2024-03-01

Most here would almost definitely have written this decree with effect from
24:00 on 29 February, to avoid confusion that any part of 1 March is
entered before the 23:xx hour is repeated a second time.  But the writers
of this decree chose to say 00:00, even though that's technically on 1
March, possibly figuring that specifying "midnight between two dates" would
be clearer to the public than saying "24:00" could be.

Fortunately the two approaches are equivalent as far as tzdb is
concerned, so we can choose to follow the text.

--
Tim Parenti