[tz] Kazakhstan (all parts) switching to UTC+5 on March 1, 2024

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Sat Jan 20 16:31:22 UTC 2024

On Fri, 19 Jan 2024 at 16:56, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> and to update some related commentary and diagnostics.

Thanks; I had noticed the issue with the newly created regions as well.

I was a bit more hung up, though, on the ISO 3166-2:KZ codes.
https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:code:3166:KZ and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-2:KZ
seem to imply that they were all changed from alphabetic to numeric codes
in November 2022.

Since it seems they're still useful to us, I've updated them in the
attached patch 0001.

> As you can see, zonenow.tab needs care and feeding when these sorts of
> changes are made. The file will need further changes after the clocks
> change in Kazakhstan in March (as well as in Greenland later in March).
> This sort of thing is one reason I put off creating zonenow.tab for so
> long....

That, and it seems more than a bit fiddly and error-prone.  Western
Kazakhstan belongs in +05 with Asia/Tashkent, where it's been and will
remain after the change, and not with Asia/Dhaka in +06 even though that's
listed directly above Kazakhstan's eastern regions that are transitioning.
Fixup attached as 0002.

--
Tim Parenti