[tz] Wrong symlinks with BACKWARD=backward PACKRATDATA=backzone

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Thu Mar 7 09:10:57 UTC 2024

On Wed, 6 Mar 2024 at 21:30, Benjamin Drung via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:
> the Debian/Ubuntu package uses BACKWARD=backward PACKRATDATA=backzone.
> The resulting tzdata.zi has the timezone Africa/Asmara, but
> Africa/Asmera points to Africa/Nairobi instead of the existing
> Africa/Asmara:

> Can this fixed/configured?

As can be seen, the PACKRATDATA approach is not suitable for full
backwards compatibility.
This is why I'm still maintaining global-tz even though I don't want to
https://github.com/JodaOrg/global-tz

As can be seen, it correctly adjusts this example:
https://github.com/JodaOrg/global-tz/blob/global-tz/africa#L407
https://github.com/JodaOrg/global-tz/blob/global-tz/backward#L191

I'm happy if Canonical wants to switch to global-tz and/or help maintain it.
Stephen