[tz] Portugal

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Wed Mar 13 03:12:37 UTC 2024

On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 at 20:38, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> I ran into one problem right away: "make DATAFORM=vanguard check"
> failed, with messages like this:
>
> > ./zic -d check_now.dir tzdata.zi
> > "tzdata.zi", line 3483: Zone continuation line end time is not after end
> time of previous line
> > "tzdata.zi", line 3484: input line of unknown type
> > "tzdata.zi", line 3485: input line of unknown type
> > "tzdata.zi", line 3486: input line of unknown type
>
> so it looks like some of the ifdeffed-ish lines need to be changed, in
> the vanguard section.

At first inspection, it looks to me as though this may be some sort of bug
with zishrink.awk.  It is currently generating the following out-of-order
lines for my draft Atlantic/Azores:

Z Atlantic/Azores -1:42:40 - LMT 1884
-1:54:32 - HMT 1912 Ja 1 2u
-2 p %z 1966 O 2 2s
-1 p %z 1986
-1 - %z 1982 Mar 28 0s
-1 E %z 1992 D 27 1s
0 E WE%sT 1993 Jun 17 1u
-1 E %z

…but, unless I'm missing something, the source lines for Atlantic/Azores
seem to pretty clearly be in the right order in the 'europe' file.

Could you look into possible sources of error there?

(Note: I have already caught a "1992 Sep 27" that ought to be "1992 Dec
27", but the error remains.)

> I suggest rephrasing this Africa/Cape_Verde comment to something like
> "For timestamps before independence see commentary for Europe/Lisbon."
> We don't need to mention Shanks any more since we're no longer relying
> on Shanks for any of this data.
>
> Likewise for Africa/Bissau and Africa/Luanda.

For Africa/Bissau and Africa/Luanda, where Shanks mistakes the decree date
for the transition date, I definitely agree; thanks.

For Africa/Cape_Verde and Africa/Maputo, I think there is still some
residual value in mentioning "Shanks said something different", since we
aren't sure there wasn't some other law that could have introduced zonal
time to any given colony prior to the May 1911 decree.  But I can
definitely aim to be more concise in doing so.

> For Africa/Maputo, it seems that we should change the transition time to
> be the time you found, and ignore Shanks there as well. Although
> Wikipedia says Lourenço Marques (as Maputo was then called) starting in
> 1904 had a tram service starting, which presumably had a need for
> reliable fixed GMT offset, it's possible that the tram service used one
> GMT offset while the local population typically used LMT. Given that
> Shanks was wrong so often everywhere else Portugal held sway, he's
> probably wrong here too.

Do you mind if I quote/paraphrase that in the updated commentary?

>  # India
> > -# From Paul Eggert (2014-08-11), after a heads-up from Stephen
> Colebourne:
> > -# According to a Portuguese decree (1911-05-26)
> > -# https://dre.pt/pdf1sdip/1911/05/12500/23132313.pdf
> > -# Portuguese India switched to UT +05 on 1912-01-01.
> > +# From Tim Parenti (2024-03-XXX), per Paul Eggert (2014-08-11), after a
> > +# heads-up from Stephen Colebourne:
> > +# According to a Portuguese decree (1911-05-24), Portuguese India
> switched to
> > +# UT +05 on 1912-01-01 (see Europe/Lisbon).
> >  #Zone        Asia/Panaji     [not enough info to complete]
>
> Let's move this revised commentary to 'backzone' as it's unlikely we'll
> need to create an Asia/Panerji in the main data.

The commented-out Asia/Panaji section is already in 'backzone'.  Or did you
mean something else?

--
Tim Parenti