[UA-discuss] Important UA milestone for Apple platforms (iOS, MacOSX, TvOS, WatchOS)

Mark Datysgeld mark at governanceprimer.com
Thu Jul 7 16:11:31 UTC 2022

Getting back to this very late, but perhaps we should do more of a song
and dance about this achievement? We should take advantage of ICANN and
Göran's new Ambassador role to show that we believe this is a strong way
for communities and companies to move forward. Maybe an ICANN blog can
be written on successful implementations of UA in huge code bases?

Best,

On 13/06/2022 20:11, Marc Blanchet via UA-discuss wrote:
> We have found while testing the Apple SDK and environments that
> support was “pretty limited”… It has now been implemented directly in
> Swift in the WebURL underlying framework, so as soon as it is
> integrated in the next releases of those platforms, all applications
> will get it “free”.  A bit late, but since it has been done in the
> core, then it encompasses “everything”.
>
> Regards, Marc.
> =========
>
> https://forums.swift.org/t/weburl-now-supports-unicode-domain-names-idna/57949
>

> "I'm happy to announce that I just merged support for Unicode domain
> names (IDNA) in WebURL.
>
> It's available right now 16 <https://github.com/karwa/swift-url>, on
> the |main| branch, and it's a big milestone for a lot of reasons.
>
> Note: IDNA support is on |main|. There will be a release in the ~next
> few weeks which includes it, but for now you should use a branch-based
> dependency for IDNA.
>
> With this post, I'd like to discuss what IDNA is, why you should
> support it, how WebURL supports it, and why I think that's such a big
> deal.
>

> …”

Mark W. Datysgeld [markwd.website <https://markwd.website>]
Director at Governance Primer [governanceprimer.com
<https://governanceprimer.com>]
ICANN GNSO Councilor