[UA-discuss] Call for participation: UASG advisory team for UA in academic curriculum

André Schappo andre.schappo at mac.com
Sun Jul 17 11:48:49 UTC 2022

I am most definitely interested in this excellent initiative and am willing to commit the necessary time and effort.Some of you will already know that I have spent years championing inclusion of internationalisation in University Computer Science/IT curricula.Briefly - I do have some practical experience on this issue. For 7 years I taught a Computer Science degree final year elective module entitled "International Computing". The module was my own initiative and so I wrote the initial proposal, the justification, the module spec, the teaching material and completed lots of lots of forms to get the module accepted. In English academia it takes over a year to get a new module accepted and included into degree courses. Here is a very brief list of topics I used to teach: general intro to the very broad subject, Unicode, Unicode encodings, Fonts, Language Tags, Country Codes, Internationalising and Localising software, Adaptive Internationalised websites, Keyboard Mappings, Input Methods, IDNs and characteristics of some human language scripts (I covered Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Korean (I also covered how to write these scripts in keyboard mappings and input methods)).This initiative is well timed because I recently learned of a related initiative "Diverse Internationalisation of Teacher Education (DITE)"   https://twitter.com/dite_project & https://dite.usz.edu.pl/  This seems like an opportunity for communication/collaboration between UASG and DITEHope my relevant experience qualifies me to join the "UASG advisory team for UA in academic curriculum"André SchappoOn 16 Jul 2022, at 9:01, Sarmad Hussain via UA-discuss <ua-discuss at icann.org> wrote:Dear UASG Members,UA Measurement WG and UA Tech WG have included plans to include UA in CS/IT curriculum in FY23 Action Plan. As the UA Measurement WG started looking into developing recommendations for technically implementing UA in the CS/IT curriculum, the WG members concluded that it is a broader topic which can benefit from
 input from other UASG members, especially those who are more directly involved in academia or technical training.  Therefore, UA Measurement WG has suggested to form a small advisory team which can oversee and guide this work, seeking volunteers from the broader UASG community. The work would likely take 6-8 months with regular fortnightly meetings at least in the first and last couple of months as well as regular 1-2 hour weekly work over email. The eventual deliverables this advisory
 team will be guiding will include identification of modules, module course outlines, module course materials as well as recommendations on how to disseminate these materials for adoption into CS/IT curricula.    If you are interested in contributing to this effort, kindly let us know by either responding to this email or emailing your interest to info at uasg.tech by 25 July. Thank you for considering to contribute. Regards, Sarmad _______________________________________________UA-discuss mailing listUA-discuss at icann.orghttps://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/ua-discuss_______________________________________________By submitting your personal data, you consent to the processing of your personal data for purposes of subscribing to this mailing list accordance with the ICANN Privacy Policy (https://www.icann.org/privacy/policy) and the website Terms of Service (https://www.icann.org/privacy/tos). You can visit the Mailman link above to change your membership status or configuration, including unsubscribing, setting digest-style delivery or disabling delivery altogether (e.g., for a vacation), and so on.