[UA-discuss] Important UA milestone for Apple platforms (iOS, MacOSX, TvOS, WatchOS)

Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Mon Jun 13 23:11:53 UTC 2022

We have found while testing the Apple SDK and environments that support was “pretty limited”… It has now been implemented directly in Swift in the WebURL underlying framework, so as soon as it is integrated in the next releases of those platforms, all applications will get it “free”.  A bit late, but since it has been done in the core, then it encompasses “everything”.

Regards, Marc.
=========

https://forums.swift.org/t/weburl-now-supports-unicode-domain-names-idna/57949 <https://forums.swift.org/t/weburl-now-supports-unicode-domain-names-idna/57949>

"I'm happy to announce that I just merged support for Unicode domain names (IDNA) in WebURL.
It's available right now 16 <https://github.com/karwa/swift-url>, on the main branch, and it's a big milestone for a lot of reasons.

Note: IDNA support is on main. There will be a release in the ~next few weeks which includes it, but for now you should use a branch-based dependency for IDNA.

With this post, I'd like to discuss what IDNA is, why you should support it, how WebURL supports it, and why I think that's such a big deal.

…”