[UA-discuss] End of nontraditional processing

Jim DeLaHunt list+uasg at jdlh.com
Wed Mar 1 23:52:11 UTC 2023

Asmus:

This is interesting! Could you please give a link to the proposal — a
document number, a URL, a link to an email thread?

 From what I have seen of software developers wanting to stick with IDNA
2003 instead of moving to IDNA 2008, the declarations of UTS #46 do not
seem to be a major factor. UTS #46 talks of a transition, but I don't
hear developers talking about being mid-transition. The use using IDNA
2003 seem to want to stay with IDNA 2003 until some other factor — like
a library, or a more important piece of software in their ecosystem —
changes to adopt IDNA 2008.

Best regards,
     —Jim DeLaHunt

On 2023-02-23 14:16, Asmus Freytag via UA-discuss wrote:

> Just a heads up for whoever is interested:
>
> There is a proposal in the works in the Unicode Consortium to
> deprecate the "deviation" mappings in UTS#46 and to declare the
> transitional period to be over. This recognizes the fact that some
> registries are no longer compatible with the deviation mappings and
> some browsers have stopped supporting them.
>
> Four characters are affected, including ß and final sigma.
>
> A./

.   --Jim DeLaHunt,jdlh at jdlh.com      http://blog.jdlh.com/  (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant