[UA-discuss] UA Day 2024: Call for Proposals

Jim DeLaHunt list+uasg at jdlh.com
Thu Nov 2 02:27:58 UTC 2023

Folks:

I share Mark Datysgeld's concerns. If our press release doesn't say what
we really mean, how do we expect people to know what we really mean?

On a related note, the page at <https://uasg.tech/ua-day/> lacks a lot
of relevant information which is now public in the press release and in
our semi-public email threads. For example:

  * "UA Day" is an umbrella term for events both on the specific date
    and on nearby dates
  * A link to the announcement
    <https://uasg.tech/2023/11/uasg-announces-call-for-proposals-for-ua-day-2024/>
  * A summary of the terms of the call for proposals from the announcement.
  * A link to a page which will be the hub to keep track of UA Day plans
    as they form. (I would hope that page would be
    <https://uasg.tech/ua-day/> or <https://universalacceptance.day>.)
  * A clarification about the roles of the two URLs,
    <https://uasg.tech/ua-day/> and <https://universalacceptance.day>.
    Is the latter always only going to be a link to the former? Or will
    the latter become the hub, because it is the easier one to remember?
  * Links to follow, for people who are inspired by what they learn from
    UA Day, and want to take the next step in their own UA work.

My suggestion is that the UA Day project put effort into keeping a page
which is the hub to keep track of UA Day plans as they form.  I would
even suggest publishing information on the hub page before sending that
same information out in the form of press releases.

Best regards,
     —Jim DeLaHunt

On 2023-11-01 13:03, Mark Datysgeld via UA-discuss wrote:

> Sarmad,
>
> Thank you for the clarification.
>
> I still find it concerning that this is not listed in the press
> release, as it will dissuade engagement.
>
> Best,
>
> On 1 Nov 2023 17:03, Sarmad Hussain wrote:
>> Hi Mark
>>
>> The UA Day is on 28 March but the events can be hosted between 1
>> March and 30 May. The window is listed on the UA Day page and UA Day
>> proposal form.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Regards
>> Sarmad
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On 02-Nov-2023, at 12:37 AM, Mark Datysgeld via UA-discuss
>>> <ua-discuss at icann.org> wrote:
>>>

>>> We have extensively discussed there will not be a single date for UA
>>> Day. Why does it say "28 March 2024" on the press release? I am
>>> literally already receiving confused messages from people and this
>>> is barely out.

>>> --
>>> Mark W. Datysgeld [markwd.website <https://markwd.website>]
>>> Director at Governance Primer [governanceprimer.com
>>> <https://governanceprimer.com>]
>>> ICANN GNSO Councilor
>>> delivery or disabling delivery altogether (e.g., for a vacation),
>>> and so on.
> --
> Mark W. Datysgeld [markwd.website <https://markwd.website>]
> Director at Governance Primer [governanceprimer.com
> <https://governanceprimer.com>]
> ICANN GNSO Councilor

     --Jim DeLaHunt,jdlh at jdlh.com      http://blog.jdlh.com/  (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant, Vancouver, Canada