[UA-discuss] question during G20 for Multilingual Internet

Dusan Stojicevic dusan at dukes.in.rs
Wed Sep 13 10:12:08 UTC 2023

Dear all,

This Ajay's "big news" makes me a little bit sad and a bit worried. If
the question was quoted by Ajay how it was posted on that summit, we
have many levels of understanding issues in UASG.
1. question is framed in a manner that someone forbids using other
languages in the domain names. With that info, served to the
politicians, who are by design unaware of standards and technology, you
created a picture that ICANN or at least some Internet body force us to
use English. We can argue that it was a valid statement 15 years ago,
but now it is completely wrong.
2. there is no 25 percent who speaks English, there is less than that.
You can check here -
https://myclasstracks.com/how-many-people-speak-english/. Still, this
creates false impression that some minority language is forced by ICANN
or any Internet body to be used, because we don't expect the politicians
to know the history on Internet. Internet was created in the USA, on
English language and Latin script, and existed many years before IDNs
are introduced and that's why we have Latin script.
3. Using "English language" in the question, instead of "Latin script"
(which is used the most in the world -
https://www.worldstandards.eu/other/alphabets/) again is targeting
political battle between East and West. Do we need to be in that battle,
as UASG? Ironically, I presume that this question was asked on English
language... Using language instead of script is factually wrong from
UASG point of view.

Together, those 3 wrong things in the question creates a dumb image to
politicians that English language is forced by the West, through ICANN,
which is just a political statement for the sake of West/East battle.
And very hard one now in today's geopolitical situation. I would argue
that we DON'T need such political statements while we are tending to be
apolitical in UASG.
At least, this big news are leading us into wrong direction, and Anil's
answer of 5 years of devoted work on this makes me more worried. This
question is not something that I would like to be the message of
UASG/ICANN and I would be extra careful in today's fragile geopolitical
world.

My two cents

Dusan