[UA-discuss] UASG Working Group Positions Renewal Status

Marc Tl marct717 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 06:28:03 UTC 2024

Hello Azhar Ibrahim and Huyan Le Khac,

I am writing to express my agreement with the sentiment regarding the
serious governance issues within the Universal Acceptance Steering Group
(UASG), as discussed in ICANN 78 supported by past chair and other members
of UASG.

It has been observed that despite documented protocols, there seems to be a
gap between what is outlined and the actual implementation within UASG.
During the UASG governance session at ICANN 78, the leadership—Anil Jain
(Chair), Nitin Walia (Vice Chair), and Nabil Benamar (Vice Chair)—reassured
the community that in ICANN 79, they would provide a comprehensive update
on the steps taken to address various governance issues. These include
matters such as Statement of Interest (SOI) implementation, the updating of
UASG documents, defining terms for UASG working group chairs and
vice-chairs, UA ambassadors, UA day, and more.

Given the importance of governance in ensuring the effectiveness of UASG,
it is crucial that the commitments made by the leadership during ICANN 78
are upheld. As the community eagerly anticipates ICANN 79, it is expected
that the UASG leadership will reconfirm their dedication to addressing
these governance issues. The community is looking forward to a detailed
update during the upcoming session in ICANN79 by these leaders of UASG,
where the leadership can shed light on the progress made and respond to any
questions raised by the community.

I appreciate you both bringing back the attention to this matter, and I
trust that the UASG leadership will stand by their commitment to
transparency and accountability during the ICANN 79 session.

I would like to explicitly request the UASG leadership to confirm that they
are holding the ICANN 79 session, as committed during ICANN 78. This
session is of utmost importance, and the community relies on the
transparency and accountability promised by the leadership. Running away
from this commitment would be detrimental to the trust and credibility of
the UASG.

Marc Miller

Sr. Director

South Carolina