[UA-Tech] BIUWG action item for Tech and Measurement WGs

Arnt Gulbrandsen arnt.gulbrandsen at icann.org
Tue Nov 21 15:00:35 UTC 2023

Hi,

As John said, people don’t use variants equivalently.

A clear definition of variants does exist. It’s not exactly one sentence long, but it does exist 😉 What does not exist is agreement that users want to use all variants equivalently. There is rough agreement that users should have the right to use all variants equivalently, but that’s very different from an agreement that users want to do it or must do it.

Let me give a couple of examples of how users want to use variants differently:

  1.  For historical reasons, old web browsers write a few names incorrectly on-screen, but this was fixed years ago and current versions do the right thing. If your name is affected, you may want a unique right to the misspelled name in the DNS, so that no one else can register it and use it for an impersonation attack. You use only the correct form, but reserve the right to the old, incorrect form.
  2.  Suppose that you have both 滙豐 and 匯豐, which many people consider to be the same and other people consider different. People do not agree on which form is the correct one. (I haven’t checked whether they are variants in any of the current IDN TLDs, but they are the kind of thing that might reasonably be, so please allow it as an example.) In that case, one of the ways you might want to use two variant domains is to put a web site on each and use the name of that domain on that site. If you do that, you have two independent and (slightly) different web sites.

Arnt