[UA-Tech] BIUWG action item for Tech and Measurement WGs

John Levine john.levine at standcore.com
Tue Nov 21 22:52:50 UTC 2023

On Tue, 21 Nov 2023, Arnt Gulbrandsen via UA-Tech wrote:

>  2.  Suppose that you have both 滙豐 and 匯豐, which many people
>  consider to be the same and other people consider different. People do
>  not agree on which form is the correct one. (I haven’t checked whether
>  they are variants in any of the current IDN TLDs, ...

They are indeed variants in Chinese TLDs.

Since that is the name of a large bank that operates all over Asia, they might
show the same web site, or it might show a site aimed at mainland China to the
simplified version, and one aimed at Taiwan and Hong Kong to the traditional
version.  Or they might do something else.

The situation as I think Arnt will agree is that beyond the obvious point that
you shouldn't assign two variants of the same name to different people, nobody
agrees what they're good for or how to use them.

Regards,