[UA-Tech] [Ext] Re: [UA-EAI] A request concerning entering domain names (fwd)

John Levine john.levine at standcore.com
Sat Oct 7 18:30:54 UTC 2023

> in IDNA2008 this was moved to a preprocessing stage, described in 5895 IIRC.

You're right, they punted.  I know the authors but if I asked I doubt
they would say much more than what's in this paragraph:

    4.  [IDNA2008protocol] is specified such that the protocol acts on
        the individual labels of the domain name.  If an implementation
        of this mapping is also performing the step of separation of the
        parts of a domain name into labels by using the FULL STOP
        character (U+002E), the IDEOGRAPHIC FULL STOP character (U+3002)
        can be mapped to the FULL STOP before label separation occurs.
        There are other characters that are used as "full stops" that one
        could consider mapping as label separators, but their use as such
        has not been investigated thoroughly.  This step was chosen
        because some input mechanisms do not allow the user to easily
        enter proper label separators.  Only the IDEOGRAPHIC FULL STOP
        character (U+3002) is added in this mapping because the authors
        have not fully investigated the applicability of other characters
        and the environments where they should and should not be
        considered domain name label separators.

Regards,