[IAG-WHOIS conflicts] Dual Trigger Proposal

Silver, Bradley Bradley.Silver at timewarner.com
Tue Jun 2 19:56:04 UTC 2015

Steve, James and all:

I agree with Steve that the most authoritative sources of interpretation of national legal frameworks are agencies charged with their enforcement, particularly in the context of a policy which requires a credible demonstration that national laws prevent compliance with relevant obligations.  I've taken a further look at Steve's proposal, attached here for ease of reference, and I would like to suggest we focus on whether we a possible way to bridge the gap could be to consider the necessity and feasibility of the requirement that an agency attest to its intention or preparedness to enforce the relevant law against the contracted party unless contractual obligations are adjusted in a specified manner - currently set forth as Paragraph 4.

Recognizing that agencies may be reluctant to take on what might be considered a positive obligation to enforce, I think that paragraphs 1 through 3 would provide a trigger mechanism which embodies the best source of national law interpretation, while stopping short of requiring any specific legal action to be commenced - consistent with the underlying policy.

This is my own view, and obviously can't speak for Steve or others who have supported his proposal.

Bradley