[Wp4] Board comments on Annex 6

Paul Twomey paul.twomey at argopacific.com
Fri Dec 18 22:18:14 UTC 2015

No I suspect it is not this.

On this working group we have to remember that the Board (and US DoC)
and most of the registries and users of the IETF protocols and the
worlds ISPs etc who are dependent on the Internet Protocols consider
that the greatest public good is that the system, and especially the
IANA functions, operate smoothly 7x24x365.   This means that the
Internet itself continues to run 7x24x365.   That is the sort of public
interest test they are applying.   And their response indicated that
they were concerned, despite our attempt to try to put "Chinese walls"
around the how to operationise our wording to be worked out in a year,
that it would potentially effect this.

It would be best to engage the Board members on the CCWG to understand
better what scenarios they identified with the language. (And I think it
would be good for us to give concrete examples of actual breach of human
rights within ICANN that we are concerned about - that can focus the
minds/conversation)

Paul Twomey