[Ws2-jurisdiction] Welcome to the WS2 Jurisdiction Subgroup!

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 00:02:52 UTC 2016

Based on this thread, it doesn't appear that there's a clear understanding
of the role of "Observers" in Work Stream 2 Subgroups.  The transcripts of
the CCWG F2F in Helsinki and the next meeting after that don't shed any
additional light on the matter.  (There's no transcript for the most recent
meeting yet.)

The CCWG Wiki pages say that a Subgroup's Observers (1) don't "actively
participate" in the subgroup and (2) won't have posting rights on the
list. There's nothing specific about the Observers and the calls, but
there's a note that anyone (not just Subgroup "Observers") can be a "silent
observer" of any Subgroup call.

Rather than speculating further, or exploring the formulations proposed on
this thread (which I didn't see any support for in my review of CCWG
materials) I will ask CCWG leadership and staff support to clarify the role
of the Observers for *all* the Subgroups, including these specific points:

1.  Will Observers get call invitations?
2.  Can Observers join Adobe Connect and/or phone bridge for the call?
3.  If yes, can Observers speak and/or write in the chat, or are they
required to be silent/non-participating?
4.  Do Observers receive the mailing list posts along with everyone else?
5.  Will Observers have posting rights to the email list?

I don't see any answers to these questions, except 5, and that's not quite
settled, because Observers in this group have posted to this list.

Let's see what we hear.

Greg

P.S. If you really want more detail on this, please see below....

I found the following information on CCWG wiki pages:

1.  The wiki page for the Jurisdiction subgroup (
https://community.icann.org/display/WEIA/Jurisdiction) says:

*Active Participants* engage in the day-to-day discussions of the
particular topic. Each active participant is expected to spend at least 3-5
hours per week on sub-group work and will have posting rights to the
mailing list.

*Observers* follow the topic discussion but not actively participate at the
sub-group level. Observers are not expected to spend time on sub-group work
and will not have posting rights to the mailing list.

2.  The wiki page for WS2 plenary meetings (https://community.icann.org/
display/WEIA/Meetings+-+WS2+Plenary) says:

This Adobe Connect Room is open for *Subgroup* meetings to any and all
silent observers:  https://icann.adobeconnect.com/mssi-projects

  The exact meaning of "not actively participating" is not further
explained.  I have also noticed that people who are signed up as
"Observers" have successfully posted to the list.  So I don't think any of
this information can lead to any absolute conclusions on the role of
Observers in the Subgroups.

In GNSO Working Groups, it is clear that Members receive call invitations
(with Adobe Connect and dial-in info) and may log in and participate fully
in those calls, and have rights to receive and post to the mailing list.
On the other hand, it is clear that GNSO WG Observers do not receive the
call invitations and do not have posting rights to the mailing list.  As a
rule, Observers do not attend the calls; if they want to follow the calls,
they can use the recordings and transcripts.  But the CCWG is not a GNSO
WG, so these roles don't lead to absolute conclusions about Observers in
the CCWG Subgroups either.