[Ws2-jurisdiction] first draft of fact solicitation questions

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Nov 29 09:49:13 UTC 2016

Greg

I am extremely bothered at what you repeatedly state as allowing some
kind of temporary freedom to this group in which, it would appear,
unruly people have discussed things that were not supposed to be
discussed. Apart from putting this on record, I do not at this stage
want to draw out the implications of such statements from one of the
chairs of an open working group.

I also again reviewed the post Hyderabad discussions on this list, and I
found them quite rich and useful. I do not see how the chair has a right
to call this as a fallow time for the group. I dont see how a rich
discussion on the influence that US incorporation of ICANN has on its
policy and operational activities can be considered an unproductive and
undesirable discussion. It seems that this group has to march narrowly
to the drums, the tune of which I cannot fully make out. It is beginning
to feel more than a bit stifling.

Next, you seem to be offended even if I take, or propose, your own three
way definition of "ICANN jurisdiction", as the statement of issues that
this WG could consider, whose express purpose is to consider the "ICANN
jurisdiction" issue. Something seems very amiss here. And you call this
as pursuing my agenda. I think I was being extremely fair to all three
dimensions of ICANN jurisdiction - as you yourself put it. And you
ignore that many comments in this discussion that have supported both
(1) the US public laws application - or jurisdiction of incorporation -
being a key issue and (2) changing the proposed question of external
inquiry to include problems that arise from existing US laws/
institutions, owing to the latter's very nature, which is no less a
factual thing than anything else . Apart from that fact I think an
ordinary member having an express agenda here is rather less problematic
that one of the chairs who mostly has been 'the' chair.

It is strange that you say that your three way description of what
"ICANN jurisdiction" means is a statement of facts and not of issues. I
did not understand the meaning of this statement. Are we not to proceed
from the facts of what ICANN Jurisdiction means to frame the issues or
lines of our inquiry? What could be a better way to proceed than this?
Especially with our so pronounced stress on facts.

Does this group's work now stand on the single pointed agenda of finding
personal experiences of people negatively affected by current state of
US jurisdiction? Lets say, even if we agree to send out such a
questionnaire, (1) would we really be holding our breath that the
weeks are given for comments, are we declaring a holiday in the interim.

Bring the whole task of this group to this one, IMHO very
inappropriately made, questionnaire is indeed very problematic.

Meanwhile, let me again state that, like many others, I completely
disagree with the current form of the questionnaire. I would think that
the job of chairs is to try to build consensus around what can go out in
the name of the group then just giving one sided views on this issue.

parminder