[Ws2-jurisdiction] first draft of fact solicitation questions

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Nov 29 09:59:36 UTC 2016

The last email contained statements of my general discomfiture.

More to a specific point:

On Tuesday 29 November 2016 12:43 PM, Greg Shatan wrote:
> SNIP
>   I'll just point out one more time that the statement that ICANN is
> "subject to U.S. and California law as a result of its incorporation
> and location" is a fact statement and not a problem statement or a
> statement of this group's agenda, and that the unmoderated discussion
> on this list that ranged off the path of our work is not what we are
> working on.  I'm sorry if allowing a little freedom on the list to
> detour from the work of the group, during an otherwise fallow time for
> the work of the group, has been misconstrued as putting that
> discussion on our agenda.  Hopefully that misunderstanding has now
> been put to rest.

I read the above to say that the issues arising from ICANN being
"subject to US and California law as a result of its incorporation and
location" , or any kind of discussion on this, is not on the agenda of
the group.

(And that it was the inappropriate use by a few of some leeway and
freedoms allowed by moderators of this group that allowed this agenda to
be sneaked it, something which is to be remedied right away.)

 I am confounded. I thought we were pursing all kinds of influences that
ICANN's jurisdiction has on its polices and operations, but at this
stage not necessarily looking to remedies ( it is a different matter
that discussions on two things can never logically be fully separated.)

Co-chairs, would you please make it fully clear what is and is not on
the agenda of this group.

parminder