[Ws2-jurisdiction] Our work so far, and a way forward

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 15:55:54 UTC 2016

Parminder,

Your public law Wikipedia article cites only constitutional law,
administrative law, criminal law (and perhaps tax law and procedural law)
as being part of public law.  Is that what you mean?  I also note that this
describes civil law as follows; "This differs from civil law in that civil
actions are disputes between two parties that are not of significant public
concern."  This is clearly not true in common law countries, where civil
law cases form precedent that can have significant public impacts.

Your private law wikipedia quote only refers to a civil law legal system.
The article (really, a stub) goes on to say "The concept of private law in
common law countries is a little more broad, in that it also encompasses
private relationships between governments and private individuals or other
entities. That is, relationships between governments and individuals based
on the law of contract or torts are governed by private law, and are not
considered to be within the scope of public law."

I'm still not sure how this dichotomy applies here.