[Ws2-jurisdiction] Our work so far, and a way forward

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Mon Oct 17 08:05:54 UTC 2016

Parminder

Would you not agree that a better formulation would be that in any
question of public law, the Law and Jurisdiction is, usually, the law
that is generally the law and jurisdication that applies, generally, to
the RELEVANT PUBLIC AUTHORITY (sometimes called 'emanation of the state')?

Examples:

Iin determining a public law question of an English town council, the
law of England-and-Wales applies, and the English High Court has
jurisdiction.

Or for a Scottish police authority, Scottish law applies, and the Court
of Session has jurisdiction under Chapter 58, similarly.

In a question relating to whether the actions of a German Federal
ministry are lawful, German law applies and the Administrative Court
would have jurisdication. (If the question was about the constutionality
of their actions, it would, I expect, be the Constitutional Count ).

I said 'usually' at the start, since there are exceptions. Countries
with a Federal system of government will have specific rules relating to
the relationship of different tiers.

European Law is another. At the moment, the UK Government is still
subject to EU law, and in any question relating to the interpretation of
EU law, the ECJ has ultimate jurisdiction.

US lawyers can provide similar examples of where and how you take State
and Federal official bodies to court.

However, NONE OF THIS IS ANY LONGER RELEVANT, unless someone here can
persuade me otherwise.

Since Oct 1st, public law is not a concern for ICANN (except perhaps in
any question that may arise considering the legality or otherwise of
actions by individual GAC members under their own domestic law).

ICANN is an entirely private law based entity.

It deals in domestic private law (i.e. when it contracts with law
service providers, in whatever context) and international private law
(when it deals with registries and registries, LARGELY (but not
necessarily exclusively) under Californian law and its conflict-of-law
provisions.

So why are we even talking about it??