[Ws2-jurisdiction] Our work so far, and a way forward

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Oct 17 05:47:01 UTC 2016

On Monday 17 October 2016 10:49 AM, Schweighofer Erich wrote:

> Good clarification.
>
> Please add to „constraints on free choice in private law“: Many
> countries (e.g. EU legislation, Lugano Convention) restrict choice of
> law and forum in favour of consumers.
>
> Best, Erich Schweighofer

Yes, so also in most other countries... Therefore not only is it of
prime importance in our discussions on jurisdiction to distinguish
between public law - where no choice of jurisdiction is available -- and
private law -- where such choice 'may' in certain cases be available, it
is also important to understand and highlight that public law can
trounce private law. And so while ICANN and a contracting party may
choose a certain jurisdiction of application on matters of contract
between them, US public law (where ICANN is located and incorporated)
may still come in and decide that certain matters of the contract
attract public law application, and intervene accordingly.
parminder