[Ws2-jurisdiction] Multiple Layers of Jurisdiction Document

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Oct 30 09:53:46 UTC 2016

On Saturday 29 October 2016 07:37 PM, Paul Rosenzweig wrote:

> I’m sorry, but that’s just wrong Paraminder.  The fact that ICANN is a
> US corproaration has nothing to do with its subject to public law in
> any way different than the fact that it has an office in Istabul
> subjects it to Turkish public law.  To the extent ICANN operates as a
> coroporation it is subject to the public law of every jurisdiction
> where it operates.  It can be sued for anti-competitive behavior in
> India today, if someone were so minded, provided that an allegation of
> violating Indian law could be raised.

Paul, on the contrary I'd request you, lets talk on facts, and not
fanciful notions.

It is plain wrong to say that US public law applies on ICANN in the same
way as Turkish or Indian law does. I dont know why are you even
proposing such a completely unsustainable notion. I am not sure how to
express my strong feelings against such a falsehood but let me try this:
I am fine if this group makes a clear determination that "US public law
applies to ICANN in exactly the same manner as of any other country" and
writes it down as a finding in its report. I will like to see how a
group of such well respected people and experts says such a thing. Of
course, I am saying this bec I know that the group would never formally
enter such a determination.

But now since you have made this claim, and I do remember you have made
it a few times earlier, and no one else has refuted it, Let me make a
few points, but very briefly, bec I really do not consider this a
serious proposition at all.

I gave many examples of how US public law can interfere with ICANN's
policy operation. Can you provide me with corresponding ways in which
another country's law can interfere in the same or even similar way....
I do not want to bore the group by re listing all those examples, which
I have done more than once in this discussion.

A US court can change the decision of delegation of any gTLD, wherever
the registry may be based. It can also impose the wisdom of US law over
the domain allocation conditions of a gTLD. This it can do by direct
fiat to ICANN.

Other countries can interfere in operation of the DNS within their
jurisdiction. They can direct registries and registrars located within
their jurisdiction to act or not act in certain ways. US, on the other
hand, can directly force the hand of ICANN in terms of its entire global
operation, policy making as well as implementation work, including
changes in the root file.

I work in the management of an Indian non profit, which does multi
country research projects. It would be most astonishing for me to hear
that my non profit is equally subject to non Indian jurisdictions as it
is to the Indian law. I am quite painfully aware that this is not a
fact, not even close to it. For instance, when we do multi country
project coordinated and run from India, I fully know how Indian law
applies on the entirety of our actions and therefore of the overall
project, whereas the courts of another country where a research team may
do research for/ with us can interfere within that county for that part
of the project. it is so simple and commonly understood, I wonder why am
I even arguing it.

Please lets not trash other people's important concerns in such
offhand-ish manner... US's public law being applied unilaterally on the
ICANN is a real problem with regard to the latter's global governance
function. Let us explore what we can do about it..

parminder