[Ws2-jurisdiction] Multiple Layers of Jurisdiction Document

Kavouss Arasteh kavouss.arasteh at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 10:25:26 UTC 2016

Dear Parminder
I tend to agree with your logic and valid arguments.However, some of our
colleagues who very well understand and agree to your reasoning, insist on
their initial thoughts as they have be under the influence of their local
law and have certain difficulties to think otherwise.
On the other hand, I admire your follow up action as you are the only one
continuing to discuss, examine, analyse and trying to get some workable
things out of it..Other CCWG have taken a silent position which is pity  .
For  ease of référence I have made a simple cut and paste the exchanged
views on the matter. It would be good that people go through that to find
out whether every thing said is consistent and coherent

*Mueller, Milton L via
<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1311182?hl=fr> icann.org
<http://icann.org> *

*28 oct. (Il y a 2 jours)*

*À Jorge.Cancio, ws2-jurisdicti*

*One thing to keep in mind about these court cases. The litigation concerns
such things as whether ICANN was in breach of contract, whether it
committed fraud, and whether it needs to be ordered to follow the IRP
decision. It does _not_ put an American court in the position of deciding
which of two applicants for the .AFRICA domain are the more worthy. In
other words, the U.S. court in this case is not the policy maker, it is a
settler of legal disputes among contracting or would-be contracting
parties. *

*--MM*

*Schweighofer Erich **via
<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1311182?hl=fr>** icann.org
<http://icann.org> *

*28 oct. (Il y a 2 jours)*

*À Milton, Jorge.Cancio, ws2-jurisdicti. *

*Thanks for this important comment. BUT: formal procedures decide the
outcome of legal disputes, even if sufficient respect for the applicable
law and autonomy of ICANN is accepted by the Court. It reminds me of the
Cadi case here at the ECJ. Formally, UN law was accepted but for ordre
public reasons not given full effect. Disputes must be settled in a proper
forum and forum shopping must be avoided. *

*Erich Schweighofer*

*Paul Rosenzweig **via
<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1311182?hl=fr>** icann.org
<http://icann.org> *

*28 oct. (Il y a 2 jours)*

*À Milton, Jorge.Cancio, ws2-jurisdicti. *

*To which one needs to add that the principal reason the case is in
California is that California is specified as the venue (and also as the
substantive decisional law) in ICANN’s contracts.  As a general matter
ICANN is free to specify that the next such dispute be determined by an
arbital panel in London (as an example) if it wishes, or using Swiss
(another example) concepts of procedural due process.  *

* Paul*

*Paul Rosenzweig*