[Ws2-jurisdiction] Multiple Layers of Jurisdiction Document

Paul Rosenzweig paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com
Mon Oct 31 16:49:12 UTC 2016

Paraminder

US public law applies to all corporations that conduct business in the US.
That is true of corporations that are headquartered outside the United
States but which conduct business operations inside the United States - like
Tata or BMW.  Hence the place of incorporation is irrelevant.  The exact
same is true of India and most every other nation in the world.  An easy
example is the antitrust suit currently pending against Google in the EU.
There is nothing in law or policy that would prevent the EU from bringing a
public law action against ICANN if it chose to.  Indeed, India has begun a
similar investigation
(http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/02/technology/google-antitrust-investigation
s-spread-across-the-globe.html?login=email
<http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/02/technology/google-antitrust-investigation
s-spread-across-the-globe.html?login=email&_r=1> &_r=1)

As for your non-profit, I suspect that it does not conduct any business or
operations in the United States and/or the EU.  If it does, you are subject
to suit.

I should add, by the way, that you misread the US International
Organizational Immunites Act which by its terms applies only to public
international organizations in which the US participates pursuant to a
treaty.  We don't participate in ICANN pursuant to treaty.   And the
President cannot by decree convert a private organization (ICANN) into a
public one.

Paul

Paul Rosenzweig

 <mailto:paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com>