[Ws2-jurisdiction] Multiple Layers of Jurisdiction Document

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Oct 30 10:33:44 UTC 2016

In the google doc on 'multiple layers of jurisdiction' I see the comment
made by Greg that (1) any jurisdictional immunity for ICANN will require
multilateral treaty, and (2) could block accountability enforcement
mechanism.

I think these are the key issues to discuss.

Reg 1 above, it is not true. I just now added the following in the
google doc.

"It is possible to obtain jurisdictional immunity for ICANN without
entering into multilateral treaties/ conventions. This can be done under
United States International Organisations Immunities Act(see
https://archive.icann.org/en/psc/annex9.pdf). There is precedent of such
immunities being given to organisations that, like ICANN, are registered
as an non profit. This study commissioned by ICANN
<https://archive.icann.org/en/psc/corell-24aug06.html>cites the example
of International Fertilizer and Development Center which was designated
as a public, nonprofit, international organisation by US Presidential
Decree, granting it immunities under the mentioned US Act."

As for 2 above, one, I am sure that jurisdictional immunity can be
structured in a manner that it does not effect th required judicial
processes around accountability enforcement, and two, accountability
enforcement processes are in any case private law issues and a
jurisdiction can be specifically chosen for its enforcement (preferably
US jurisdiction).

I will like to hear arguments why we should not recommend that ICANN be
granted jurisdictional immunity by using the above mentioned US Act. Is
there at all any case against it?

I will like this issue brought up at the f2f meeting in Hyderabad.

parminder