[Ws2-jurisdiction] WRITTEN ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS RAISED DURING THE CALL

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Wed Aug 2 07:34:37 UTC 2017

Seun

There's a difference between an informal briefing from a lawyer, and a
formal, written Opinion.

Informal briefings can, to some extent, skate over the detail and
technicalities (though I wouldn't expect them to miss the important points).

A written opinion, however, must be carefully considered, and must be
comprehensive. That is to say, many billable hours = costly.

Now, it really is worth doing this where there is a specific, well drawn
"qualified question" to be answered.

But a widely drawn brief is a recipe for a result that is

(a) confusing additionally or alternatively confused; and
(b) extremely expensive.

I'm as keen as Kavouss and Paul to have a briefing on how ICANN-PTI's
obligations have changed since transition, both in law (I suspect not at
all ) and de facto (which clearly has changed, from changes in the way
existing policy is being interpreted).

But let's have focus.