[Ws2-jurisdiction] Some interesting points from the OFAC Call [WAS RES: WRITTEN ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS RAISED DURING THE CALL]

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Mon Aug 7 21:35:52 UTC 2017

I am in agreement that the default position should be that ICANN seek an OFAC license for any entity that seeks to contract with it.

However, I believe that some discretionary out must be preserved for the extremely rare instance in which the entity seeking to become a contracted party was one with which ICANN did not wish to have even the appearance of endorsement, even though the ultimate decision was in the hands of the US Treasury.

I would permit such a discretionary decision not to seek the license subject to:
   Board formally endorses decision.
   Decision is publicly posted along with explanatory rationale.
   Empowered community can override decision.

Best regards

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW