[Ws2-jurisdiction] [EXTERNAL] Re: ISSUE: In rem Jurisdiction over ccTLDs

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Aug 24 16:15:38 UTC 2017

On Thursday 24 August 2017 08:14 PM, Phil Corwin wrote:

> As I just pointed out in a prior email, the exercise of In Rem
> jurisdiction still requires some party related to the domain (registry
> or registrar) to be subject to US jurisdiction. So unless a nation has
> its ccTLD operated by a US-based entity, and unless a ccTLD registrant
> has opted to use a US-based registrar, this is a non-issue for ccTLDs.

That US based party is ICANN, the owner of the DNS root. This fact
enables In Rem jurisdiction.

> Also, as I pointed out, this In Rem jurisdiction is completely
> independent of ICANN’s incorporation and even its existence.

I am sorry if I  sound flippant, but seriously, this sentence to me
appears to be in contradiction to what you say above. For, it is because
DNS root owner, ICANN is in the US, and not immune from its
jurisdiction, In Rem jurisdiction comes into picture, which you rightly
say "still requires some party related to the domain to be subject to US
jurisdiction", if only for enforcement of any judicial writ.

parminder