[Ws2-jurisdiction] Blog post on ICANN's jurisdiction

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 14:42:20 UTC 2017

Hmm...I count myself as one of those who consider some legal expense made
during WS1 to be waste of money[1] but some others don't feel the same
hence we spent on. The good/encouraging thing is that we had the transition
anyway.

I think for once we should give an opportunity to hear "what form of
immunity/waiver that will allow ICANN to serve her global community equally
is feasible without affecting ICANN accountability mechanisms that has been
put in place". No problem If what you've just shared is what legal will
come back with as a response and I don't think this will be too expensive
compared to what we've gone through in the past.

Regards
1. The questions we asked then had responses within the group(plus
who then came back to us with response paraphrased to mean the following:
"...anything is possible, it depends on what we want" and then we looked at
pros and cons. That similar opportunity is what is lacking in this current
process.

On Feb 25, 2017 3:10 PM, "Nigel Roberts" <nigel at channelisles.net> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>>         I am also confused about how one would reconcile the
>>>         privileges and immunity approach with deliberately chosen
>>>         language in the Bylaws.  Under the US International
>>>         Organizations Immunities Act, ICANN would first have to be an
>>>         “international organization” as defined in the Act thus:  For
>>>         the purposes of this subchapter, the term “international
>>>         organization” means a public international organization in
>>>         which the United States participates pursuant to any treaty or
>>>         under the authority of any Act of Congress authorizing such
>>>         participation or making an appropriation for such
>>>         participation, and which shall have been designated by the
>>>         President through appropriate Executive order as being
>>>         entitled to enjoy the privileges, exemptions, and immunities
>>>         provided in this subchapter.”  22 U.S. Code 228.  The Swiss
>>>         Host State Act, 2007, has similar requirements.
>>>

>>         Yes, it needs action by both the Congress and the President of
>>         the US. The former will need to just amend some existing laws
>>         related to some international orgs and add ICANN somewhere in
>>         it. Simple work. And the President has to issue a decree under
>>         the Immunities Act.
>>
>>         ICANN is not a treaty-based organization,
>>>

>>         This is not required.
>>

>>>         nor is it conducting work normally carried out by an
>>>         intergovernmental organization.
>>>

>>         As shown by Jorge, this is not true.
>>

>>           Turning it into a treaty-based organization
>>>

>>         No need to turn it into treaty based org to get US immunity.
>>

>>>         would seem to me to violate the Bylaws-mandated Core Value
>>>         that requires ICANN to */remain rooted in the private sector/*.
>>>

>>         There is a linguistic problem here. Private sector is understood
>>         differently in the US than almost everywhere else. In the US, it
>>         is just to be outside government, which ICANN is. Outside the
>>         US, it mostly mean for profit sector. ICANN is indeed outside
>>         government(s), and there is no proposal to change that. But it
>>         is also equally a non profit . That also I hope is not intended
>>         to be changed.
>>
>>         In any case, whether non profit or for profit, everything is
>>         always subject  to some kind of governmental jurisdiction. Being
>>         so subject does not change its non profit or even for profit
>>         nature. So the point is really moot.
>>
>>         This language was contested on numerous occasions by members
>>>         of the GAC, and the community repeatedly insisted on retaining
>>>         this orientation.  I think that there can be little argument
>>>         that the community affirmatively committed to maintaining this
>>>         status through the Accountability work.
>>>

>>         The community asked this group to consider the issue of US
>>         jurisdiction over ICANN. And a question can only be considered
>>         if it is open - -unless, sorry to use that word, we are all
>>         mutually and together fooling ourselves, and doing discussions
>>         that really have no meaning or purpose. I really hope this is
>>         not the case - -although, I must admit, despair often does
>>         arises that it may actually may be the case.

>>> TjDmrxdYahOP8WDDkMr4k&m=auyHgxBmAM7WyiHL_bP3LUU2HGtmpJ
>>> s6UDz8t8hgsao&s=SW0awN355LgKou0VH8FoTnUMVW3Ew72doP7GYG8HOWw&e=>
>>>                         <http://www.redbranchconsulting.com/
>>>                         <https://urldefense.proofpoint
>>> .com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.redbranchconsulting.com_&d=
>>> DwMFaQ&c=MOptNlVtIETeDALC_lULrw&r=62cJFOifzm6X_GRlaq8Mo8
>>> TjDmrxdYahOP8WDDkMr4k&m=auyHgxBmAM7WyiHL_bP3LUU2HGtmpJ
>>> s6UDz8t8hgsao&s=1k6KNFdJzQIC6CkW4-cXYamlUd3hWDS-W8MchdaYxlg&e=>>____
>>>
>>>                             My PGP Key:
>>>
>>>                         https://keys.mailvelope.com/pk
>>> s/lookup?op=get&search=0x9A830097CA066684
>>>                         <https://urldefense.proofpoint
>>> .com/v2/url?u=https-3A__keys.mailvelope.com_pks_lookup-
>>> 3Fop-3Dget-26search-3D0x9A830097CA066684&d=DwMFaQ&c=
>>> MOptNlVtIETeDALC_lULrw&r=62cJFOifzm6X_GRlaq8Mo8TjDmrxdYahOP8
>>> WDDkMr4k&m=auyHgxBmAM7WyiHL_bP3LUU2HGtmpJs6UDz8t8hgsao&s=gBJ