[Ws2-jurisdiction] Case summary - 2 drafts for your review

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 19:08:57 UTC 2017

For the Choice of Law/Governing Law field, the primary answer I intended to
put there was what law was actually applied to the case.  Secondarily, I
intended the answer to indicate if a Choice of Law provision had been
invoked.

The issue of whether a conflict of laws analysis was done by the court (and
under what law), and whether a contractual choice of law provision was
involved, are related but distinct issues.

On this basis, the expected answer would have been: "California" (assuming
the case was decided under California law).  Secondarily, the answer could
have indicated that California law was applied because there was a
contractual Choice of Law provision agreed by the parties.

Perhaps we need to tweak this question and break it into two questions, so
we can be clear in the answers:

Governing Law applied: [Here, put the law actually applied in the case]
Conflicts of Law analysis/Choice of Law provision?: [Here, indicate if the
documents show that governing law was determined through a conflicts of law
analysis, and whether a Choice of Law provision was present.]

Thoughts?

Greg