[Ws2-jurisdiction] Questionnaire analysis

McAuley, David dmcauley at verisign.com
Thu May 25 17:24:41 UTC 2017

With respect to the other views stated, my personal take on this issue was not fully stated on the call and now after further thought perhaps differs bit from Thiago’s and Kavouss’s and so I mention it here.

In the questionnaire we are engaged in a fact-based exercise but in leading the discussion the leader will probably need to make some judgments in an effort to get the discussion among team members going.

We in this team are in a different role than the responders – we are reviewing their submissions and there will be back-and-forth among ourselves on some of the replies.

The questionnaire had a limited, fairly-generous response time and that is now closed. I do not think we should invite respondents to come on call to re-state or amend their replies if that is the request.

If we as a group think it necessary (and on further reflection I am not convinced), we might consider  mentioning to respondents that their reply has been commented upon (surely they expected that) and point them to that e-mail and/or adobe transcript. If they feel the review seriously misstated their position maybe we should allow them a few minutes to state in what respect – on call and not by email to our list. It would be a limited slot of time only to state a correction but not to reopen original statement and not to engender a debate with the responder.

In my opinion, we need to protect our time and schedule, especially in light of the timeline discussions on the plenary call yesterday. I strongly urge that if we decide to allow for corrections to our reviews (keeping in mind that we should each read the replies ourselves), we only do so in a very limited manner.

Best regards,

David

David McAuley

Sr International Policy & Business Development Manager

Verisign Inc.

703-948-4154