[Ws2-jurisdiction] RES: Domain names 'located' within the US

Thiago Braz Jardim Oliveira thiago.jardim at itamaraty.gov.br
Tue May 30 12:32:14 UTC 2017

Gregory,

Just to clarify, one task of the Subgroup was chosen to be to review ICANN's litigation cases. But the Subgroup mandate is to assess the impact of "jurisdiction-related questions" on the operation of ICANN policies and functions.

To the extent the location of ICANN has an impact upon the ability of domestic courts to exercise jurisdiction over domain names and other features of the Domain Name System, whose management is one of ICANN's functions, it is up for the Subgroup to make one of its tasks to examine those cases (and any other evidence) that shed light on what that impact is.

The ACPA litigation I referred to is relevant as evidence that the location of ICANN has the potential of leading US courts to exercise jurisdiction over domain names as property located in the US. It is not just a coincidence that in one litigation directly involving ICANN as a defendant party (ITOH v ICANN), the parties discussed and the court examined what lessons could be drawn from ACPA litigation. Indeed ICANN pointed to this very NBCUniversal case, hoping to support the argument that the location of a country code top level domain (ccTLD) was at the registry. But the Superior Court of California noted that, according to the ACPA, location can be at where any domain name authority is located, which includes ICANN.

You say that "in rem jurisdiction dictates that the domain name is located in the United States". But in rem jurisdiction (as a basic feature of the law, as you say) can only be exercised over property located in the territory of the forum. It's because the property in question is situated within the territory of one State, and is subject to the territorial sovereignty of that State, that local courts exercise in rem jurisdiction over that property, and not the other way around.

And in Weinstein, an attempt to attach Iran's ccTLD failed because the court exercised a discretion, i.e. to use its authority to protect third-party interests, and not because ccTLDs were not property in the US. In fact, not only the Appeals Court did not deny that ccTLD was property, or property susceptible of attachment, or property located in the US. But also it affirmed that there would be no execution immunity in respect of Iran's ccTLD, because the Foreign State Immunity Act (FSIA) permitted attachment of property in that particular case. Now, property to which the FSIA is applicable is property situated in US territory, so that Weinstein may even support the argument that ccTLDs are actually treated as property located in the US because of ICANN's location.

Again, in Weinstein, the US Court of Appeals denied a request to force re-delegation of Iran's ccTLD not because it though it couldn't do so, but because it thought it shouldn't. For that particular case, and that particular case only, US courts thought it wise not to interfere with ICANN's functions.

Thiago