[Ws2-jurisdiction] OFAC Rec.s

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Wed Sep 20 19:25:19 UTC 2017

As my tutor (a High Court judge) said "always give authority", so

the answer is Section 9(1)(b)

> s9.
>
> 1. Race includes—
>
> (a)colour;
>
> (b)nationality;
>
> (c)ethnic or national origins.

I know that a non-UK registrar, is obviously, governed not by UK law
(unless by agreement), and that different anti-discrimination approaches
draw the boundaries slightly differently.

But basically, in the UK, you can't make decisions on the basis of
someone's nationality, unless it's laid down in law that you must (e.g.
immigration rules).

See also
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/protected-characteristics/gypsies-and-travellers-race-discrimination/

(I'm actually always been shocked at the apparently legal discrimination
that exists in the US between citizens and non-citizens outside of the
likes of immigration and working for the government in a national
security role.)