[Ws2-staff_acct] Getting started

avri doria avri at acm.org
Tue Aug 9 15:05:01 UTC 2016

Hi,

It is time for us to start our work.

While waiting for the staff report, Jordan and I, started to assemble
some Background noted that contain excerpts from the Accountability work
that shows our mandated work items.

This can be found, open for comment and suggested edits, at:
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Whv88g92TjVL4n7TIN_hGuh5BC7uMzelHCPizoiN6Y8/edit?usp=sharing>
A pdf of the current state of that document is attached.

Included in this Background draft is the following:

**

*THOUGHTS RE PROCESS TO KICK OFF DISCUSSION*

*

  *

    A first meeting to brainstorm perspectives and a work plan outline

  *

    Seems there are two key tasks, related to the two bullet points
    above in Para 15.

  *

    On the first bullet point, the group could do an online brainstorm
    for how this could look and then collectively wrangle our way to a
    first draft text

  *

    On the second bullet point, we could have a meeting where we get a
    presentation from ICANN on what they do re the second, and then
    reflect on that and decide what we’d like to see done / changed

*

Jordan and I, your co-rapporteurs for this effort are currently trying
to figure out when we can schedule a first meeting, within the confines
of the Staff assigned timeslots.  Once we narrow it down a little we
will probably initiate a doodle poll to find the best time.  Current
though is that:

- we will pick one day of the week and rotate though the 3 timeslots:
0500, 1300, and 1900 UTC.

- initially we are thinking of meeting every other week

- we hope to do as much of the work online as possible

We do plan for discussion of the schedule and timeline to be part of the
first meeting, so nothing will be fixed in stone by scheduling the first
meeting.

---

I have one concern about our group.  Looking at the Participant &
Observer lists I do not see many staff members participating.  I think
it important that there be some staff members in this group, including
some who are not part of legal staff or of senior management.  I think
talking about staff accountability without staff representation may be
problematic. Of course there would need to provisions allowing for them
to participate freely without worry that what they say may adversely
affect their job prospects.  I do not know if this concern is reasonable
and whether others in the group share the concern.  So I would be
interested is seeing some comments on this topic.

Well I hope that is enough to get the thoughts flowing. Will get back to
the list soon.

avri

---