[Ws2-staff_acct] Staff questionnaire to community

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Wed Apr 19 02:39:37 UTC 2017

hi Greg, all:

The staff questions came in their reply to our questions, in December:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6MyPqTCjxXtVmxUeHBNbHFVMjA/view?usp=sharing

Avri and I have discussed this topic with ICANN staff (at Copenhagen and
since), and so I am assuming that George is asking as George, and / or an
ICANN Board member. The staff we've been dealing with have been clear that
they think a response to their questions would be helpful, and we've
contextualised it as hoping that responses will become available through
the work we are doing with the issues / resolution piece.

HTH.

cheers
Jordan

On 19 April 2017 at 14:31, Greg Shatan <gregshatanipc at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> In doing that work of seeking input, we will then be in a position to
>> respond to the staff's request for detail and evidence. Or, to point them
>> in the direction to get it. Or, to respond that in our view it isn't
>> appropriate for us to do so.
>>
>> If ICANN as an organisation would like to take a different approach that
>> digs into specific cases, or solicits evidence of those from the community
>> for resolution or assessment, it is welcome to.  That's not what our group
>> is mandated to do.
>>

>> A final point on timing. Yes, this group is running slower than planned.
>> We've had to adjust our work method to reflect the reality of volunteer
>> time and commitment, late criticism from you as a Board member (which
>> however valid, was still very late), and doing a proper job. There is no
>> way to change where we are at now.
>>
>> I'd request that you focus on what we do next, and how we bring this to a
>> conclusion, if you can.
>>

>> best
>> Jordan
>>
>> On 19 April 2017 at 05:39, George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Avri,
>>>
>>> I don't mean to be difficult, but it seems to me that the questions from
>>> staff are asking for concrete evidence regarding the existence and
>>> seriousness of issues.
>>>
>>> If you're saying that the group cannot answer staff's questions because
>>> it doesn't have any evidence with which to respond, I can understand that.
>>> However, then adding it to the issues list is really mixing apples and
>>> oranges; the staff questions are asking for evidence, not specifying
>>> issues.  It implies that the group really needs to spend time collecting
>>> evidence to decide whether the issues on the issues list are real issues or
>>> whether they should be discarded as non-issues.  It also implies that the
>>> work of the group is lagging substantially if it hasn't decided yet what
>>> are the real issues to be discussed with a view toward specific remedies
>>> for amelioration.
>>>
>>> I sense a tendency on the part of the group to avoid specifics and hard
>>> evidence, when this is precisely what you need to characterize the issues
>>> and verify that they are real.  I think that at some point you have to bite
>>> the bullet and get into specifics.
>>>
>>> Disabuse me of this, please.
>>>
>>> George

>>> that the staff addressed to the group (attached)?  If not, does it make
>>> sense to prepare such a response in order to sharpen the focus on real
>>> problems that exist?

>> --
>> Jordan Carter
>>
>> Chief Executive
>> *InternetNZ *
>>
>> +64-4-495-2118 <+64%204-495%202118> (office) | +64-21-442-649
>> <+64%2021%20442%20649> (mob) | Skype: jordancarter
>> jordan at InternetNZ.net.nz | www.InternetNZ.nz
>>
>> *A better world through a better Internet*

Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ *

+64-4-495-2118 (office) | +64-21-442-649 (mob) | Skype: jordancarter